PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EE Lightning Aircrew training course notes
Old 25th Aug 2022, 09:44
ScottBouch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
The datalink was never used operationally, so I doubt it’s in any pilot notes.

Anyone remember Lightning DataLink?
Thanks for that pointer - I was going to do another thread asking about Data Link. Some of those stories written there are familiar with stories I learned from ex-RAF guys who would come to see and help out on the Lightnings at Cranfield; such as using the Signal Data Converter space in the Elephants Ear panel for kit bags - this is something I have seen evidence of as I have repaired some of the RT wiring in this area, as it would get snagged on bags and became worn out. Also heard about the space being used for cigarettes and alcohol too!

I have a Lightning strip Air Speed Indicator, which had a space in the lower left corner for a Data Link "Command" speed/mach counter, which is removed. Interestingly though, inside there are witness marks of the screws that would have held the command counter in pace once upon a time.

One mistake in the referenced thread: the PTR-175 radio T/R unit did not have the Data Link facility, the internal module for Data Link was replaced with the additional Guard receiver module in the PTR-175 (for the control unit mode T/R+G). The radio equipped for Data Link was designated the PTR-177, this had no Guard receiver module as the space was occupied by the Data Link module. I've never seen a PTR-177, but many PTR-175's! (The thread also mentioned the UHF only ARC-52, I don't know if this could work with Data Link, as the control panels for the ARC-52 has no DL mode, but the later control unit, the C1607/4 with DL mode can also be used with an ARC-52... so that's out for debate.)

C1607/4 Control Unit

The above C1607/4 control panel offered modes for T/R+G and DL: it was one-size-fits-all, to be used with either radio, but there is a hidden switch round the back that has to be set to G or DL depending on the system it's installed with (Guard receiver module or Data Link module).

C1607/2/ARC 52 Control Unit - no DL mode

Cheers, Scott.