Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2022, 00:51
Going Boeing

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
Interesting:
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/se...-to-australia/
A few voices `stateside already saying it will never happen - too much bomber for the buck and designed primarily for special weapons.
But then again - people who supposedly know said we'd never buy nuclear boats.
My read of the recent acceleration of orders for long range missiles (JASSM-ER & LRASM) is a way of substituting for the lack of carrier based aviation. For the RAN to build carrier capability would be a very lengthy (& expensive) process whereas long range missiles deployed on current assets gives the ADF similar capability in a much shorter timeframe. A squadron of B21’s would add significantly to this and would totally make a naval carrier redundant for Australian defence needs.

A squadron of B21’s would be a similar cost as a carrier but would have a lot more flexibility wrt multiple locations as well as having lower manning requirements.

If tensions keep escalating, I can see the government finding the money to buy B-21’s. The recent lengthy operation of B2’s out of Amberley has given the RAAF good insight into the operation of a similar strategic asset.