PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Wigston survive the onslaught?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 15:01
oldmansquipper

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by possel
I've read through this thread and just have to say that I am glad I left the RAF when I did, now almost 30 years ago. However, this one brought back memories:

There were far too many people who had this attitude - do the minimum to look good so long as it isn't apparent until you have moved on. They were simply selfish and just did not have the "best interests of the service" in their mind at all, whether in the case of cost, airworthiness, flight safety, operational effectiveness or even just improved morale. They were the people who would only consider themselves, not the RAF as a whole, and they would not do something "because the book doesn't say I can do it" whereas, on the contrary, others had the view that "the book doesn't say I can't do it" and were willing to make a rational decision based on their knowledge and experience.

The trouble is that such people did have a better career, they did reach higher ranks and now they do have a massive pension. I find it sad that the situation has apparently not improved and could perceivably be worse!
In GW1 I was in the HQSTC EA for things survival equipment. On several occasions we had to make difficult decisions on the run so the front line effectiveness was not compromised. (Re supply of SF by airdrop when all the RAF existing stock of equipment had been exhausted)

One example. I recall authorising use of out of date parachute canopies with air dropped containers and reverse engineering of container cradles last used in Lincoln’s and shacks… at a follow up meeting with MoD(PE) I was told in no uncertain terms that my actions were not permitted because the the combinations would have to be subjected to a full test program before clearance. Taking the rap, I asked if the dozen or so live drops we had already done could be taken into account and did the committee want me to try and get the containers back from behind the lines…

it all went quiet. (My logic was that I could see nowhere where it said I couldn’t do what I did)