PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Wigston survive the onslaught?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 12:43
possel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read through this thread and just have to say that I am glad I left the RAF when I did, now almost 30 years ago. However, this one brought back memories:
Originally Posted by Wrathmonk
Because they are always one step ahead of the 5hit storm. Do enough to get the required ticks in the box for promotion and move on. Could say the same for a large number of people across many ranks!
There were far too many people who had this attitude - do the minimum to look good so long as it isn't apparent until you have moved on. They were simply selfish and just did not have the "best interests of the service" in their mind at all, whether in the case of cost, airworthiness, flight safety, operational effectiveness or even just improved morale. They were the people who would only consider themselves, not the RAF as a whole, and they would not do something "because the book doesn't say I can do it" whereas, on the contrary, others had the view that "the book doesn't say I can't do it" and were willing to make a rational decision based on their knowledge and experience.

The trouble is that such people did have a better career, they did reach higher ranks and now they do have a massive pension. I find it sad that the situation has apparently not improved and could perceivably be worse!