PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric powered commercial aircraft -- here we go!
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 01:38
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ExSimGuy
An"airborn nuclear reactor" ? No Way ! Even in my crazyest moments would I even dream of that one
Apaer from the "electricc flying-boat" meantioned a couple of posts earlier, I'm almost convinced that a short haul company in nothern Europe was already taking pax distances of a couple of hundred by electricks, but I guess I had that wrongas a bit motre searching today has brought up 4 "May 2022Textron paid $235 million for Pipistrel, which produced the world's first electric-powered aircraft to be internationally certified as being safe for passenger flight" (19-seater)
Here in Europe, EasyJet’s partnership with U.S. startup Wright Electric has led to development plans for the Wright 1, an all-electric, 186-seat commercial passenger jet with an 800-mile range that’s targeted to enter service around 2030. Up sooner still, Wright Electric additionally announced in November plans for an electric 100-seater, the Wright Spirit, due out in 2026
“ Targeted to”, “ Have plans for” . I guarantee their plans require a huge increase in battery technology they just assume someone else will achieve. Till someone does, they can plan and target all they want, but we won’t see an actual aircraft on the tarmac.

And, err, pipestrel has a 19 seater? Well, no. They have a certified TWO seat aircraft that has a safe endurance of about an hour.