PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATP Non-Type vs Type-Rated License: Concerns About Checkride
Old 22nd Aug 2022, 19:53
BWEEpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McMax
Hi IllinoisDavidson,

interesting read, thanks. I‘m in the same situation as your husband‘s friend.
Trying to decide between the airbus non typed course vs. the actual shortened rating course.
Price difference is not a lot, but I‘m just afraid of the oral as I haven’t flown the Airbus in a couple of years other than for the annual EASA sim check.

Anyone else has experience with the FTI Airbus non typed course?
Hi McMax,

I have direct experience with FTI and their non-typed ATP course from earlier this year. You have the option of doing it on the A320, B737NG or the B757/767. If you have jet transport time and experience on type (whether current or not), you'll be more than fine. The school does advise that the training is condensed and the program is tailored for military and/or experienced ICAO-licensed jet transport individuals. The school provides all training materials (FCOM, FCTM, Profiles) via an app that is only compatible with an IPad. There are a series of computer based training videos, covering everything from weather to systems, that will also need to be completed prior to arrival for training.

Prior to arrival, ensure you know your systems, memory items, cockpit flows and all limitations as the ground school is very cursory and just answers any questions you may have about a system sequence you didn't quite understand. It's 3 to 4 sim sessions inclusive of the checkride. The oral is standard; not too in depth, but still not to be under estimated. Just take it as your regular type-rated oral.

The actual sim sessions are condensed and you are expected to know all flows prior to arrival in the sim. The 2-3 sim sessions just gets you familiar and proficient with the entire profile for the checkride. Sim checks are also conducted by approved in-house check airman. It's not as pedantic as a regular type-rated checkride, but still a checkride.

Hope this info helps. Feel free to PM me if you need.