PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar news
Thread: Jetstar news
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2004, 12:48
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi BVB

In response...

Have you guys any further info on how the whole changeover process from Impulse to Jetstar is gonna work??
The changeover is still being planned at this stage - and will most likely change frequently prior to the rollover in May.

All we know is that our current management team based in SYD (along with admin staff, etc) are safe until the end of this year...from then, who knows?

Obvioulsly, you guys will now be cleaning on turnarounds (like DJ) and restocking etc.??
We have always cleaned on turnarounds. What remains to be seen is whether or not our duties on cleaning remain as is, or change for the worse.

What are the thoughts of current Impulse guys about the whole thing currently....I know that you guys werent really happy at the announcement time??
A mixed blessing. Happy we still have a job - but being told that our overnights will drop, meaning longer days, etc. is never happy news! Depends on what you want from the job, what you're used to and where you want to end up.

Change is always good, in whatever form it takes. Some view it as a step back, others forward.

Happy to simply be employed full time in an industry not known (or likely to be known in the future for that matter) for full time, permanent employment as a FA.

We're all watching with suspense on what they will do to our staff travel privileges. Our agreement, etc. will remain untouched (just as well we got a 3 year agreement - shudder to think what would have happened if we didn't have one when the announcement was made).

What about salary? ( I have heard that o/nites will be limited and so therefore we all know that this will lower overall income)
Well - as much as our overnights are planned to drop, we can't really do much about the loss in income, as the allowances are only provided for meal compensation whilst being away from home. Whilst they're not supposed to be a money making exercise, the surplus from allowances always helps.

Then again, Virgin Blue said they'd have few overnights when they started - now look at them!

Staff travel and progression??
As for progression, they've said they're honouring it. I always add "for now..."

Venture Exec - whilst we're not JetStar right now, we will be from May, meaning all those employed by Impulse prior to May will roll over to the new venture.

As for interviews, me thinks they would have to be started by May at the absolute latest. Those A320's won't crew themselves (due in June), and with the added crew member to the complement and winter season (which brings with it flu, URTI leave, etc), I'd be very interested to see how long before the first JetStar training school was conducted.

Whilst the A320's will be replacing the 717's, it takes 4 weeks for a training school to go through. My sources tell me our training schools will run into the double digits for this year alone.

All this is further affected if we get more resignations from our SEQ base. Australian interviews and Virgin Blue interviews (with Direct Entry CS positions) will have a rather interesting effect on our establishment figures if I'm not mistaken.