PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WIZZ AIR Skiathos vid
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2022, 11:38
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickerbill
I agree with Jonty, JSI is a special place. Short, narrow runway with a hump, sat on made up ground between two islands. It's not the place where you do an hour in a Sim and off you go. All approaches are are low and "exciting".

It would be useful if anyone commenting on this thread started their post by stating if they had trained for or operated an aircraft into JSI. These people I will happily listen to. The rest should stop criticising something they don't fully understand....

'bill
So, ‘bill, have you been trained for and operated an airliner into JSI? I’m prepared to accept your “challenge”. I was trained to fly into Skiathos in a fully modelled simulator and went there with a training captain before operating there on my own. As I said in a previous post I’ve been going there since 2010, and in the summer season it appears on my roster, on average, twice a month.

None of those approaches are either “low” or “exciting”. Sometimes if the weather is marginal it can be a bit challenging but for a competent pilot the main challenges are performance planning, not being able to fly a tidy three degree approach path to a sloping runway without almost knocking the heads of the spectators.