PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash at SunShine coast.
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2022, 05:38
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jonkster
I have always been curious .....
Yes, at MB. I've got this hypothesis that some-one looked at the Day VFR Syllabus many years ago and added what seems to be the appropriate control as I have done in upper case below.
"• Closes throttle
• Stops yaw RUDDER
• Unstalls wing" ELEVATOR
So text like that is in the briefing slides in the format of PARE. The presenter simply says the words on the slides so the briefing ends up something like full opposite rudder to stop the spin and then elevator to unstall the wing. This video demonstrates that nicely
It seems to me that very few bother to read the manuals (I must admit to only reading the manual for my car when I can't get something to work).

The NZ CAA uses PARES rather than PARE - good idea I think to remind pilots that S (to stop the spin) only comes after both the R and E.

Even current production Super Decathlons have the old-style manuals, not much has changed since it was certified in the '60s. That was before the FAA permitted unapproved data in the AFM - so there is no POH per the GAMA spec. There is the approved AFM which takes precedence and the manufacturer's Pilot's Operating Manual. The emergency section of the POM suggests that elevator is moved prior to the rudder, as you say. In the normal operating procedures section it has text identical to the AFM "Recover with positive movement of stick to neutral and full opposite rudder." Words are in the opposite order to the placard and my interpretation (not just mine) is that it means simultaneous application of rudder and elevator. I ignore anything in the POM which is contrary to the AFM.
Important thing is not to apply elevator before the rudder. With instructor trainees I make a point of doing the PARE actions in that order but so quickly that the trainee believes that they were simultaneous actions - then this discussion.