PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WIZZ AIR Skiathos vid
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2022, 01:18
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by simmple
fdr

Yes that’s all fine but only relates to expected performance and the legalities of dispatch etc.
Nowhere does it say thou shall not be 8ft over the threshold or 80ft when flying manually and visual, well it didn’t when I were a lad.
New thou shall nots were published regularly so maybe now it is written.
At one point it was in the manuals that we could land deep at xxx airports as long as we were down by x intersection due to length of rwy and taxi distance!
OK not a 747, equally not a small turboprop.
That did change eventually and it was just mandated touchdown zone, nothing really about how you got to it.
Which reminds me of one great HOT that asked one young pilot who was talking about his "techniques",

"please enlighten us, young man, what other training and policy do you deliberately disregard?"

The training trains per the FCTM or OM-B etc, anything other than that is a deviation, and may be wonderful or career limiting dependent on the circumstances. As one who used to look at the data and determine if a crew had acted deliberately or not, I would suggest that most operations want you to target what you are trained to, otherwise it makes people doing what I used to do spill our coffee laughing at what the crew considered as being reasonable on the day.

Even in test flying, the intent is to do what you have briefed and trained to do. I guess you can brief the guy beside you that you intend to cross the fence at head height as you think that is the best thing for safety. You would get a couple of points for CRM, the guy beside you may get some for saying no.

The problem with ad-hoc FPA and TCH is that you do one thing always, and then on one flight where it is apparently critical to achieve the performance that you always have, you deliberately alter the aiming point which potentially ends up with a destabilised condition into the flare.

Yes, in the military we were trained to touch down on the numbers, and there was landing gear left behind on occasions. The punters are paying for an unexciting arrival, if they want excitement then they should go to 6-flags, or go fly Spirit...

You are a grown up, whatever you consider to be correct and to be justifiable to your management and to the jury should suffice. Deliberately deviating as it was considered to be a great idea that is not as trained would be written up by persons like me as being a deliberate deviation. If you do that, be very good, and don't F*@# it up.