PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standby
Thread: Standby
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 22:52
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Sheesh.

Angels dancing on the head of a pin...

If they say standby they don't want me to respond and to wait until they can get back to me.

If they give me a QNH even though I have ATIS, I read it back. (Yeah OK it may unecessarily wear out 2 seconds of the lifetime of the PTT while I say the QNH but they are expecting me to do it and everyone else on frequency knows I will be reading it back so bad luck, they have to accept the 2 seconds longer in my clearance readback).

My 2 questions for ATC folk - if you give me something like "report at X" as part of a clearance, I either don't read that back or sometimes respond "wilco" as I don't think that is actually part of a clearance and (probably due ignorance) cannot find anything about a response in the docs. Do you want me to read anything back about a "report at X" or "report passing X thousand" etc?

And my question to anyone - this one a bit embarrassing - many years ago I recall there seemed there was a habit in more casual conversations on the radio to not say "Roger" but instead "Roger D" (perhaps from the phrase Roger Dodger?). Does anyone remember that? Problem is despite telling myself not to do it, something has hardwired that into my brain and I often catch myself adding the "D" to anytime I say "roger" Am I Robinson Crusoe? Is that phrase a figment of my imagination and never happened?