Thread: Standby
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2022, 01:45
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by MagnumPI
AIP GEN 3.4 has it all!

If only that was "it all".

One of the unsolved mysteries of readback requirements is why, on each occasion I am granted an inbound clearance by e.g. YSCB APP, I am given and expected to readback the QNH and am prompted to do so if I don't. Bear in mind that, in order to get the clearance, I had to ask for it and that request always includes "with Golf" - or whatever the ATIS code happens to be current - and, of course, the ATIS includes QNH. And on each occasion that I'm prompted to readback the QNH, the QNH is the same as broadcast by ATIS!

WTF is the point of reporting the ATIS code received if 'the system' is going to second guess whether I've actually received all of information Golf? And if 'the system' is 'worried' that I don't 'really' have the QNH element of Golf, why isn't 'the system' 'worried' that I don't 'really' have other of the elements?

cogwheel nailed a substantial part of the problem: inadequate ongoing education. Everyone's just doing their own thing. Don't forget the most important rule here: When in doubt, talk.

The proper use of the word "Roger" is a lost art. When I was taught to fly, the instructor drummed in to me that when ATC/S gives you a bunch of information, only part of which had to be readback, the proper response was the (a) the readback item, (b) the word "Roger" and, (c) callsign. The word "Roger" denotes that the whole of the message has been received. I rarely hear it used any more.

Ground: "ABC, cross runway 35, the aircraft on final for 17 will be holding short 30 and the vehicle on taxiway Charlie will be vacating the taxiway at the fire station.

ABC: "Cross runway 35, Roger, Alpha Bravo Charlie.