PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier GR.5 - A&AEE & SAOEU questions
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 14:08
Davef68

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by NIREP reader
I’m doing some research on the Harrier GR.5s history. I see that the first 3 DB aircraft were painted grey with one(?) having the painted false black canopy underneath. Was there a grey Aircraft at BD in 86/87?, if so which one?
I think they all had the false canopy, 319 and 320 certainly (320 had it up until the end). Can't find a clear (Identifiable) early pic of 318 just now. 319 had a higher colour demarcation on the intake (And carried blue and white paint at various times for stores, cannon and trials - nice pic of it here https://dunsfoldairfield.org/aden-gun-range/ - taken at Boscombe but no time given.

318 and 320 were more alike

Secondly at what point were the production aircraft painted green from there on?.
ZD321 - all the production aircraft were delivered in the two tone green scheme. BAE 'took a punt' for the first three that the 'grey' scheme trialled in Operation Matchcote would be chosen for production, In the end, the green scheme was chosen (but ironically the later grey scheme wasn't a million miles away)