PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier GR.5 - A&AEE & SAOEU questions
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 08:15
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
ZD318,319 and 320 would have cycled through AAEE at various times in the mid to late 1980's,I was on night shift at Dunsfold at that time so cannot supply any details on that subject.
318 was a bit of a hybrid AV8B/GR5,iirc she still had some of the original AV8B cannon ammo feed track mountings in the fuselage.
319 was the 1st A/C to get the 100% LERX fitted at some stage as a modification.
320 was I believe officially re designated as a GR5 (NA) [Night Attack] at some stage in the systems development (prior to becoming a GR7 proper),I remember we had 320 out on the airfield in the dark at least once when I was on shift.
I reverted to Flightshed dayshift in 94 and one of my wee jobs was to rebuild 318 after she had been stripped down (for structural testing ?),I was given loads of boxes of bits - she had been stripped down much deeper than we normally did,even rebuilding the nozzle control system was 'interesting' and even when I chatted to the installation guys working in T2B ( usually known as 'the black hangar') they could not always help me with info.
I used to hate taking over other peoples work LOL,you could easily tell if an a/c had been stripped down by a good fitter - as all components and AGS etc would be clearly marked.
I remember I was once tasked with refitting a windscreen to a GR5,all the fixings were just shoved into a bag - this job involved approx 100 different length bolts so we normally used to push them through carboard in the correct pattern/order marked out on the card,a system I still sometimes use to this day when working on our cars

Last edited by longer ron; 18th Aug 2022 at 07:16.