PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licence Question
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2022, 09:16
Central Scrutinizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattpilot
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, i'm trying to get up to speed on the conversion process.

@Central Scrutinizer - Thanks for that write up. I know your answer was pertaining to the OP, but in my case i do not have the ATPL written yet, nor a radiotelephony certificate. I suppose the written tests would be between 5 and 6. Meaning i get the written training program from an ATO and approval from a MS before i start the ground studies ? And i'd probably do the radio certificate right before flight training ?

While looking through other threads, austria comes up a few times as a preferred state. Besides being 'efficient', is there any other reason to go with them? I am an austrian citizen, but live in germany. Any reason not to do it with the germans?

I dont suppose you could recommend an ATO in austria or (southern) germany that is good with conversions? I checked out a big school near Munich and they pretty much thumb their nose at people looking for conversions.
Hi,

My advice is avoid Germany like the plague. Just because you live in Germany doesn't mean you need to get a German licence. AustroControl is way better. The German authority is not only slow and extremely bureaucratic (like everything has to be done by paper/post, no emails), they also ask for extra things that other authorities don't require (the bloody German ZÜP, certificate of good character which is a pain in the ass to get if you've lived in several countries). Finally I believe that if you go with German and later on decide to change your EASA MS from Germany to another country the Germans make it bloody difficult due to their data protection laws: as in they won't easily transfer your medical records making the transfer very difficult.

As for a good ATO to work with in Germany, I did it with Ardex and they were good with my training needs, but don't expect them to figure out exactly what you need to do. You need to be clear about your needs and explain these to them. This is generally the case with ATOs anyway.