PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair or easyjet - difficult choice ???
Old 5th Jan 2004, 01:25
Whippersnapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said, the CC dealt with it very quickly, and the skipper was left unmolested. The FO still has not been given an assessment, dispite a very good line reputation and meeting all the company criteria. Of couse, excuses are made and there is no reference on file to the true cause as the original intended disciplinary was illegal. The discretion incident was a long time ago, when the rostering was in chaos due to the pairing system and the transition onto Carmen (Sep 2002). That goes to show how long some grudges are kept. I hasten to add that this is 1 example; there are many others, especially at LTN.

I do appreciate that the term "strong willed"! could be interpreted many ways. What I meant was that if any questioning or circumspection is shown, this causes an unusually high level of friction with the management. Any cynicism or refusal to obey orders (no matter whether they're daft or not) and you career progression will be stopped dead. I want to make clear that not all the mgmt behave this way, but come bases have a strong tendency in this direction.

I agree that intransigence is undesireable in a captain, but sometimes you cannot just go along with things. It also has to be considered that some are more forceful in their dealings with the company than they are with other crew members as the company tries to walk all over them, while their colleagues do not.

Last edited by Whippersnapper; 5th Jan 2004 at 01:36.