PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WIZZ AIR Skiathos vid
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2022, 11:16
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Confusious
OK, let's take off our pilot's hats and put on the legal ones.

Scenario 1
Crew fly deliberately low in an attempt to reduce the landing distance. Unexpected late downdraft and aircraft lands short of runway resulting in an evaluation.

Scenario 2
Crew fly correct flight path and experience an unexpected downdraft over the threshold resulting in a hard landing.

Regardless of airmanship considerations the blame in scenario 1 would probably result in loss of job and possibly legal action against the crew. Scenario 2 would involve some paperwork filing.

Sorry guys but SOPs are there to be adhered to and will save your bacon if you do.
And scenario 3 involves an unexpected tail wind on very short final meaning the aircraft now goes off the end with the loss of all onboard. And don’t even get me started on a loss of braking ecam on roll out.

JSI is a very “interesting” airport to land at. It’s stretching the limits of what some aircraft are capable of.

I’m not going to criticise the Wizz crew in this instance, I wasn’t flying it. And I know the majority of Wizz pilots are very capable and well
trained individuals.

What I will criticise are “arm chair pilots” who haven’t flown these aircraft in to this airport and feel it’s right to criticise the crew for what appears to be a low approach.