PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 22 year old killed by tail rotor
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2022, 22:40
ApolloHeli

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbiee
This is why we have such a lawsuit crazy society here in the States. Too many people who don't have the common sense to not walk into the loud spinny thing without being "told" not to. Its never my fault, I'm always the victim, life happens to me,...now give me money!

Its your fault you didn't save me from myself.
If we were talking about an experienced helicopter pilot who is acutely aware of the dangers of a helicopter I would agree with you, but it is entirely likely that a typical passenger will have no idea that there is a second rotor at the rear of the aircraft that is (in the right lighting conditions) almost invisible, and for the uninitiated, impossible to aurally distinguish from all the other noisy bits of the helicopter, so I disagree that the blame is at all placed in the direction of the victim here. As mentioned on this thread before; typical 'safety briefings' can make little difference if rushed through, spoken unclearly, or given at times when the passengers aren't paying attention.

There is a video of a person ducking under the tail of a squirrel and walking into the tail rotor (killing him) in Nepal from a few years ago, which I am reminded of from this incident (I recall reading a report that states the victim in Greece ducked under the tail to cross and met the tail rotor in this way - that seems to be the most plausible to me), and I wouldn't say stupidity or 'lack of common sense' played into the case in Nepal either, but rather a lack of understanding of the risks in the situation, especially when your eyes (which we derive most of our situational understanding of the world around us from) tell us that the path in front of us is clear.

(my bold added for emphasis). Always happy to be corrected.