PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What radar service do you require?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2022, 08:43
chevvron

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by reportyourlevel
Erm, I make it four. One allows total autonomy, one points out traffic, one avoids traffic and the last accounts for areas without radar coverage. I really don't see the issue, unless your training is so poor that you don't understand it.

The other end of the scale is a system where I impose a certain service on you. the problem with this is what level should I provide? Control everyone as if they are VMC (I doubt the airlines will be happy with that) or as if they are IMC (most PPLs won't be happy with that)? Hence, as is appropriate, you are allowed to choose what you want.

For my benefit, could someone explain exactly what the problem with this choice is?
When I first started providing services outside CAS in 1974 (having been posted to Farnborough), that's the way it used to be; I think it changed in about '78.
You had:-
Flight Information Service as per ICAO ie with or without the use of radar.
VMC Radar Advisory Service where the pilot was informed of conflicting traffic but advisory avoiding action was only passed at the request of the pilot or if the controller deemed it necessary.
IMC Radar Advisory Service where the controller passed advisory avoidng action unless the pilot stated he could see and/or avoid the traffic.
Simples.

Then some d1ckhead decided to change it all and we ended up with the mess we have nowadays.