PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DA40 crash Cranfield
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2022, 12:50
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by djpil
Seems like a Decathlon. I often carry bags on the rear seat. Those who sit in the back know about the extent of the control stick.

Fortunately? Routine check perhaps? The Decathlon Operating Manual has a control check prior to start as well for this purpose - size of the passenger in the rear seat is limited by their stomach girth.
​​​​​​
Not a Decathlon. The type is not relevant but it had a much greater curve in the stick.

You are correct that this should be discovered as per checklist when checking control freedom which is typically performed after strapping oneself into the cockpit(on the Decathlon I flew, strapping in took me quite a while with those aerobatic seat belts installed).

Fortunately......I did this check during the loading process and discovered the issue while standing beside the aft open cockpit and realized there was a problem. Saved a good amount of time when I didn't have a lot of extra time.

Briefly off topic of thread:
Looking back on my Decathlon days(rental from a flight school), I seem to remember that during the control check, full aft stick had the rear stick rubbing against the rear seat crotch belt which could be felt in the control stick. Is it the same on you aircraft.

Last edited by punkalouver; 24th Jul 2022 at 13:01.