PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DA40 crash Cranfield
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2022, 22:02
First_Principal

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Fostex
Reading the report and seeing the tank of de-icer in the RHS foot well I was lost for words.

What sort of idiot does that?!
Such reports are intended to investigate the cause of accidents and incidents, and report on those dispassionately so that others may learn from them. They are not intended to lay blame nor prosecute a person, the quid pro quo being the full and frank disclosure from those involved - which may well reveal important facts that could otherwise remain undiscovered (thus possibly leading to others, unnecessarily, following the same path).

The pilot involved in this accident appears to have been a young person who did a whole lot of things right, who has learnt and operated within the company culture, but in trying to be helpful at the request of a senior person has implemented and experienced something that could have been avoided. Given what I read in the report I've every reason to think that all those involved will have learnt from this, and from their misfortune we are all reminded of something that may assist us the next time we think about loading some item into our 'plane, or car, or whatever.

Most certainly I don't consider this well qualified (albeit not highly experienced) young man to be an 'idiot', and I suggest to you that such a comment is particularly unhelpful as far as future disclosure is concerned, and nor is it justified from what I read.