PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATPL to EASA - moving on
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2022, 09:17
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Low Average

I’m definitely not an expert but I think it went like this. A pilot with a UK issued licence had to make a decision. Do nothing then on the stroke of midnight post Brexit the it became an ICAO licence issued by the UK. As far as EASA are concerned the fact that it was the same licence previously is irrelevant. This was how it was explained to me in an European training outfit. It’s just another ICAO licence.

Alternatively, you could have SOLI’d it across to another European authority. I know there were pilots at easyJet who went for the Austrian licence. Then post Brexit the UK CAA are allowing pilots with an EASA licence to convert allowing an orderly transition to the post Brexit world. I believe that ends this year.

I was chatting to a BALPA rep about this and I believe that the European Cockpit Association are lobbying EASA/UK to recognise UK licences and vice versa. Basically what we had before. Remember the CAA didn’t want to leave EASA but were forced to by their political masters. Does all this make sense - No. Was it entirely predictable. Absolutely! Happy to stand corrected.