PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best and worst orders I have known
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2022, 00:13
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Six week long Field Training Exercise....objective.....can a National Guard Mech Infantry Division drawn from three States be combat ready within six weeks of activation for combat duty.

Me...in a Kiowa flying the Big Boss around....Two Star General....done so for two years.....my Cap stashed in my flight suit leg pocket departs for some unknown location via the cockpit door.

Darn I sez....GenGe asks what happened....and when told said for me to go to the Post Exchange by the Helipad and buy a replacement.

At the doorway to the PX....stands a regular Army Military Policemen (MP)....who sez....no hat...no entry allowed.

Explanation to MP....no change..."My Captain said all customers must be in full uniform....no hat ...no enter.

When said MP radioed his Unit Commander and explained the situation....he was told the "My Order stands....do not let him into the PX!".

GenGen returning to the aircraft observes CW2 Sasless standing Bare Headed and asks for an explanation which was offered, considered, and we (the Boss and I) returned to the PX.

The MP confirmed my account and the Boss asked for the nice young man to request his Captain present himself....who then turned up.

GenGen confirmed the Captain's Orders then issued one to me....Enter..buy...return forthwith and with all due haste....then a pause....then told don't hurry the Captain and I need a few. minutes.

I left....bought the hat and rank insignia...and returned....the Captain was still at "Attention" and the Boss was still talking and the Captain was listening....and a young MP was dissecting an interesting description of the Captains few attributes as assessed by the Two Star.

In the US Army you must have a hat in order to buy a hat unless you have a Two Star that will provide a longish dissertation on commonsense and the notion that Generals outrank Captains who are dumber than a wedge.

Bad order...being told by a Two Star to go buy a hat......Good Order....being told that a second time by the Two Star in front of an arrogant MP Captain.