PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2022, 12:58
AIMINGHIGH123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iflyplainplanes
Finished IR and MCC in 2011, applied for jobs had one interview that I bombed.

found another, job IR lapsed. Decided to pick it up again a few years later which took some time. Had a couple interviews and even a second stage lined up. Then covid and Brexit. Licence is lapsed again and only valid in the UK. Not to mention most places are now asking for Upset training etc.

The „dream“ is now so detached from my life now I don‘t see the way in, nor am I willing to continually drop ££££‘s in maintaining everything with nothing to show for it.

I think we don’t hear from people that didn’t „make lt“ as they are busy doing other things and don’t like to dwell on it.
I finished my training in 2013 after 5 years going modular. I ran out of funds party way through. 2016-2018 was a great time to get a job. Maintaining my IR when trying for a job was costing me about £500 a year in a ME aircraft. I was doing the bare minimum to stay current. Once I had an interview go and get some airline specific interview prep and a SIM session (£100-£200 and hour fixed based B737 can be found easily).

If you want it bad enough it will happen. Yes I got made redundant 2020 but seriously for me it never felt like a job. Everyday was just going out with like minded people.

How many fall by the wayside? I would say a lot. From people I have met en route I can name a dozen who gave up rather quickly and I think that’s what airlines see. Worst I have heard is ex CTC people who were paying £1100 a month in loan costs and never got into the flight deck at all. Sad but it happens.

Right now would probably be the worst time to try and get into the market but you never know.