PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear GH & CK
Thread: Dear GH & CK
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2022, 17:47
zigzag88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear GH & CK

A polite ‘riposte’ to your recent public comments..

“It would also be an incorrect statement for me to say that COS18 is not one of the reasons”. Actually, it isn't the only reason but it is the main one. With appropriate remuneration, a significant number of your Pilot’s would have remained.

“Deeply regretful of the turnover rates..”

With circa 90 resignations in the last two months alone and hundreds more to come by the end of the year, I find it surprising that, despite having limited training capacity, your sole focus appears to be on recruitment with seemingly no attention paid to retention.

A CN1, FO1 and SO1 are decidedly cheaper than a CN4, FO2 and SO2 but without a valid licence all are of limited use.

(Note for pilots; it will take approximately 12-14 years to move from CN1 to CN4; 24-28 years from your joining date..)

I do hope your Training Plans are conservative given many Senior staff will be leaving at the end of the year. In fact, it is likely you could have as little as 2000 pilots overall, given the current constraints and the closure of the US Base at the end of August.

The first of your direct entry candidates will realistically not become available until late 22/early 23 and none of your recent Cadets will be available until late 2023.
I understand 300 Cadets/yr initially. Your turnover rate will likely match that number.

Remember, many of your currently employed Cadets have passports from other countries too.

So, Direct Entry pilots will be needed.

“It’s a competitive package for Hong Kong Pilots….” Other than a small handful, you will not be hiring from Hong Kong, so in turn, you will need to be globally competitive particularly against the US market.

As a place to live, Hong Kong is no longer as desirable as it once was, particularly for families.

At least 50% (conservative) of your current pilot workforce are on a hold file with rival airlines or are actively applying elsewhere.

“COS 18 has been adjusted a number of times to increase certain allowances and benefits along the way” “Our desire is to ensure that COS18 remains competitive..” Actually you’ve adjusted it many times. Only once, however, did it benefit your pilot workforce. The tiny ‘improvements’ were met with universal derision.

With a strong balance sheet (compliments are due here, this truly is remarkable), the last of the basings closed and your cost base at historically low levels, one can only surmise what your next step might be..

Respectfully

Zig Zag

Either of you are most welcome to reply here.

Last edited by zigzag88; 26th Jun 2022 at 11:46.