PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poland Order AW149
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2022, 14:25
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
https://www.defensenews.com/industry...worth-over-1b/

Poland reveals plan to buy AW149 helos in deal potentially worth over $1B

ROME — Poland plans to buy AW149 helicopters, the defense ministry said Monday, with one Italian bank estimating the order could be worth €1.1 billion (U.S. $1.15 billion) to manufacturer Leonardo.
“In the near future we will sign contracts for the supply of mine destroyers ... AW149 multi-role support helicopters, two observation satellites and tank destroyers,” according to a tweet from the ministry, which cited Defence Minister Mariusz Blaszczak.
Polish news portal Defence24 reported the order will include 32 helicopters, with assembly handled in Poland by PZL-Świdnik, which is controlled by Leonardo.
It also reported Poland will acquire the helicopters in three different formats: combat support; command; and reconnaissance and electronic warfare.
This is an interesting decision. Poland already makes and operates some S-70i Black Hawks.
Why get a similar class helicopter with a lower max gross weight?
From a spec sheet on the AW 149. MAX GROSS WEIGHT 8,300 kg / 18,298 lb (Not quite a UH-60A)
From the spec sheet on the S-70i: 9,979kg/22,000 Max Gross (more or less UH-60 L or M)
I guess that the devil is in the details, or that a sweet, sweet price was too good to pass up.

EDIT: Sorry, we cross posted, thank you for the insights Jakub!

Given the requirement to carry 5 fully equipped troops or 1000kg, AW139 would probably do the job well enough. It is the Polish side that wanted AW149.
Black Hawk is made to carry a dozen or so.