PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual UK and EASA licencing for finishing the training
Old 12th Jun 2022, 20:32
FredDickens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual UK and EASA licencing for finishing the training

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I have read the older threads about dual UK and EASA licencing but I still have questions regarding it. Up until recently I had assumed that being UK based meant that I would only need the UK CAA licence to work at all of the UK based airlines, as the aircraft would be G registered for their UK base of operations, but EasyJet and Ryanair have opted to register most of their aircraft with EASA and are only employing pilots who hold EASA licences. This leaves me in a very awkward position of being ineligible to work for the two airlines that I expected to start my aviation career at and would limit my job prospects.

I am undertaking the modular route and completed the PPL and ATPL theoretical exams prior to Brexit. I also sat all of the exams with Austro Control, so I plan on using them as SOLI.

My understanding is that I need to do the following:
1. Complete a new initial Class 1 medical with an EASA state
2. Get my PPL and training records validated with that EASA state (is this needed when I have undertaken all training at an EASA approved UK ATO and held the licence prior to Brexit?)
3. Get the EASA PPL from that state
4. Complete the CPL and ME/IR skill tests with an examiner approved by both the UK CAA and EASA (does the ME/IR theoretical test need to be taken twice?)

My main questions:
1. Is this extra effort and expense ultimately worth it? I assume yes based on EasyJet and Ryanair's current policies.
2. Did EASA extend the validity period of the ATPL theoretical exams in the same way as the UK CAA (ORS4 No 1488)? I plan to finish all training within the initial 36 months, but it is a good safety net to have if I need it.
3. Does the IR skill test need to be completed in EASA airspace? I read something about this being an issue for EASA licensing, but that the UK CAA accepts IR skill tests performed in EASA airspace.
4. Has anyone used Austro Control to attain dual UK and EASA licences and can provide guidance on what steps to take? Especially forms to complete and the timeframe required to complete this.
5. If I complete the fATPL with the UK can I transfer it to an EASA state easily at the end? Much simpler in theory, but my understanding is that as the UK is now classed as a third-country it would not be possible without re-doing exams and skill tests.

Thanks for any help and clarification that can be given on this.