PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 years
Thread: 28 years
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 20:46
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Brian 48nav, thank you, I stand corrected of course, both by you and by other posters as to the number who perished in other RAF peacetime accidents. I consulted Wiki for the year that Liam Fox overturned the ROs' finding, and simply took the statement in the first para, that it was the worst RAF peacetime loss, on trust. Para two attributes the quote to ACM Sir William Wratten, one of the ROs. Quite! A lesson learned....

As to Pisa and Little Baldon, both too close to home to forget, and the second surely also airworthiness related. Both terrible tragedies and not forgotten I can assure you. Edmonton I wasn't aware of, and perhaps far more worthy of ROs' wrath than the completely unjustified and perhaps cynical finding that attempted to pin the blame on two JOs rather than the VSOs that pressed the Chinook HC2 into RAF service against all the mandatory regulations and procedures that should have prevented just that. Having ultimately failed to besmirch the pilots' reputations the Star Chamber has been content to close ranks and continue the cover up. That may be of some comfort to some of them, but it serves the Royal Air Force very poor, and is a positive hindrance to UK Military Air Safety. Until the RAF lances this boil, necessary and urgent reform of Military Air Regulation and Air Accident Investigation will not happen. That simply means more avoidable fatal air accidents. That is unacceptable.

May I also commend the two excellent books by David Hill as mentioned by Lordflasheart above. A trip down a certain South American river should reveal them. For those just looking for a simple résumé of the tragedy, I would still suggest wiki, despite the embarrassing faux pas it led me into :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_S..._Chinook_crash