PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ELECTION TIME
Thread: ELECTION TIME
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2022, 01:39
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
It's pretty obvious how few people monitor the proceedings and resolutions of the Federal Parliament. That's why they don't know how often the Coalition and Labor vote together to defeat cross-bench legislative proposals or amendments in the Senate.

As I noted earlier, the acid test will now be whether Labor introduces legislation for a federal ICAC with real teeth and jurisdiction to investigate retrospectively. Both Labor and the Coalition have plenty of skeletons in the closet (though the latter has more) and would prefer a cuddly puppy rather than watchdog ICAC. Now that Labor has a majority in its own right in the HoR, the cross-bench can't force through its own ICAC legislation nor force through amendments to Labor's proposed legislation to toughen it up. And when the legislation hits the Senate, the cross-bench there can huff and puff and fulminate at how flawed the legislation is, but if Labor and the Coalition choose to vote together....

But I live in hope that I will be proved wrong and that Labor will walk the talk on a federal ICAC. We shall see what we shall see.