PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drink driving - anyone gone pro with a DUI charge under their belt?
Old 27th May 2022, 17:51
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
‘’You are going to have to legally admit it and will probably be required to have abstinence and a years liver function tests as a result.

CASA has a problem in general with ANY use of alcohol. This is deliberate. My DAME explained to me that in an effort to remain relevant and keep their jobs CASA grabbed on to the genuine but unfortunately named medical concept of “Risky drinking” and decided to screen pilots for “risky drinkers”. The alcohol use related questions reflect the associated genuine validated statistical metrics. While that sounds great in theory there is one problem.._…..

‘’The use of the term “risky” in the context of the scholarly research refers to the risk of developing chronic medical conditions, for example liver failure, from long term alcohol abuse over many years, NOT the risk that a pilot may suddenly be incapacitated while piloting an aircraft during the validity of their current medical certificate. Begging the question of how liver disease might affect a pilot, CASA have deliberately misrepresented the time horizon of the valid medical concern. A lot of perfectly normal pilots have had to endure unwarranted inconvenient and pointless testing as a result.Translation: if you got pissed a few times at your best friends weddings it does not mean you are a risk to air safety..

Strictly speaking and according to CASA, no winemaker could possibly pass the screening questionnaire nor could any pilot who has been in the Maree pub on a State of Origin night when Lake Eyre has flooded (you know who you are boys and girls), nor thousands of other pilots lucky enough to be able to celebrate “beer o’clock”. I have seen one or two croppies that have a beer in hand before the propeller has stopped turning.

Anyway that is what your DAME will tell you if asked. This post in no way suggests that any alcohol use contrary to regulations is acceptable and I will be the first person to either take your keys or report you if you are stupid enough to try and fly with alcohol in your system. If you think you have a problem then I recommend talking to AA. I am reliably told that you will be surprised by the people you meet at AA and that while it is very confronting it produces results.

Last edited by Sunfish; 28th May 2022 at 00:46.