PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nighty night
Thread: Nighty night
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2004, 00:20
GusHoneybun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nighty night

We all know that for a night qualification to be added to a ppl, amongst other things, we need to get the student to do 5 take offs and 5 full stop landings.
Now, had a chap do his qualification a few days ago and did an hour or so in the circuit. He called ready, lined up, took off, did a circuit, landed, stopped and then cleared the active five times to satisfy the requirements. All well and good, however, this afternoon I ended up have an arguement which ended up a £10 bet with the CFI about how this should be logged in the logbook.
One train of thought is that this should be logged as one single flight, with an entry made in the remarks column that 5 full stop circuits were completed.
The other choo choo of thought is that 5 seperate entries should be made in the logbook (and techlog).
More to the point, the logbook is going to be sent to the CAA, so what would be their veiw (tried calling them today but no-one is there till monday). Do they need to see five seperate entries or is one satisfactory?

Further to this, it raises the point as to what is required to satisfy the 5 full stop landings. Do these five night t/o and landings have to be seperate flights? Can you land, stop on the runway, backtrack and then take off again and count that as one of the five? Or if you runway is long enough can you land, stop on the runway, then start rolling and take off?

Now, my understanding of what constitutes flight time is the time from when the aircraft moves under it's own power with the intention of flight until the aircraft has stopped as that operation has concluded, and that is what should be taken as one flight and one flight only.

Tis a minefield indeed. Anyone care to clarify and help me extract a tenner out of my bosses moth eaten wallet.