PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ELECTION TIME
Thread: ELECTION TIME
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2022, 22:52
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Penguin, do the maths.

Sunfish, we don't have 50+ years. For most people living in cities and large towns plugging into a 10A 240V socket will suffice most of the time. How often do they drive 250km in one day? Once a fortnight? Once a month? 500km+ range EVs exist now and it won't be too long before that trickles down to the cheaper end of the market. What percentage of Australians live in 10,000+ towns and cities? 90%. Sure there will be outliers but a large majority would manage a large proportion of the time without resorting to charging away from home or at slower chargers. The average annual distance traveled in Australia by passenger vehicles is 11,100km or 213km/week.

1. Recharging maths -

(a) Base load to power all the electric vehicles?

(b) Public recharging network? Number of recharging sites?

(c) Public recharging network? Inter city recharging? How many recharging stations and amperage needed between say Melbourne and Sydney?

(d) Recharging security and distribution? How do you propose rolling out a network to even the poorest least secure suburbs, not just Balmain, Toorak, Northcote and Double Bay?

2. Purchase Maths _

(a) Initial cost of vehicles?

(b) recycling of vehicles?

(c) Road user charges? Victoria already has them. Did you think you would have free abundant power forever? Think again.

(d) The big one: Finding and mining the huge quantities of the various elements required including copper, Lithium and rare earths.

3. Truck networks - perhaps easier than large scale domestic use. EV prime movers would be great because they can produce maximum torque at zero revs.

4. Off road, construction and agricultural equipment?

....and we are talking Australia omly. What about the third world?

I would like an electric vehicle myself. The performance and convenience of EV's is stunning. However to handle my current "mission" there is no EV on the horizon except the Tesla "Pickup" somewhere in the future or perhaps a hybrid Landcruiser one day.