PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane Hunters get Hunted
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2022, 23:09
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Remember, USAF is the most politically correct and obedient service in the colonies.

Even so, back in the 60's and 70's we had some slack as long as the mission filled some of the training squares. One of those was a requirement to land someplace besides homeplate. Then there were war games and such at some neat places. And then there were blatant "stretching the truth" or exploiting the training requirement.

Besides figuring out how to stuff two dozen cases of Coors beer in an A-7 avionics bay and a travel pod on one deployment, my favorite was an infamous run in Feb of 1967 from Grand Forks to Tyndall to get oysters. Our squad was on the schedule for a bash at the club, and the base was 99% bombers, tankers and GCI folks. So we went "tropical" to entertain the buffs folks, et al. Our gorgeous women wore almost nothing and we wore a tiny band on our waist and used stage makeup to "get a tan". Meanwhile, one crew flew to Tyndall and came back with a few hundred pounds of oysters! The VooDoo missile bay had a huge "travel pod" that hooked on the weapon lugs. So I was on alert day before the bash and tower called to ask if we knew anything about a VooDoo coming in that had a call sign " Oyster 54"!!! My flight CO choked and said, no problem he's one of us. Good thing the club and one of us could shuck the oysters, and nobody could imagine oysters on the half-shell in North Dakota in February.

Gums sends..