PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular Route - Best Time to Start Hour Building
Old 8th May 2022, 11:39
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LCpl_Ghostrider
Can it be done pre-ATPL, and on passing all ATPL exams will it become a full IR as you mentioned above.

Furthermore, if it does, one presumes that the cost of the CPL ME/IR becomes cheaper as it is only the CPL MEP?
You can do the IR pre-ATPLs but that would mean taking CBIR theory as well. If you wait until the ATPLs are finished you can use them for everything (I held a foreign PPL so I did 14 ATPL exams and used them for PPL, CPL, IR and ATPL).

The main way a CBIR saves you money is by avoiding the simulator and using a real aircraft, thus counting towards your 200 hours.

The MEP rating can be done any time after PPL + 70 PIC and preferably before CPL.
The MEIR can be done after MEP and CBIR (reducing your MEP IR training from 15 hours to as little as 2).
The CPL can then be flown in an SEP, with the course reduced to 15 hours.

The trick to keeping the costs down is to do all of the above within 200 hours while keeping everything in the optimal order and also ticking the boxes for all the prerequisites (PIC, night, XC etc...)

I would suggest: (Hours/Dual/PIC)

PPL - 45/35/10
Night - 5/3/2
25 hours XC - 25/0/25
ATPL exams - F.ucking Yippee.
IRR/IMC - 15/15/0
35 hours XC - 35/0/35
CBIR -15/15/0
MEP - 6/6/0
MEIR - 5/5/0
PIC Hour Building - 22/0/22
​​​​​​CPL (SEP) - 15/15/0
Tests - 6/0/6
Totals: 194 hours, 94 Dual, 100 PIC

As you can see it's very tight with only 6 hours spare for extra training, but it is achievable if you train smart:

1. Get all theory out of the way ASAP, your flying will progress much faster.
2. Get a training partner and backseat each other on every dual flight, even if it means paying extra for a 4 seater. You will learn more sitting in the back. For free.
3. Chair Fly - It's free and it's the best way to learn the profiles/circuit etc..
4. Know the POH/Flight manual inside out and back to front.
5. Be the best prepared student at the flight school for every flight.

Do these things and you WILL pass every course in minimum hours. *I did none of these things!

Last edited by rudestuff; 8th May 2022 at 21:27.