PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular Route - Best Time to Start Hour Building
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:00
Aviator172s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
Actually that's a pretty good plan. Unfortunately a lot of people do PPL+Night, 100 hours PIC, ATPLs then CPL at 200 hours THEN a full IR course of 30sim+15multi. The last part is where the money gets wasted. Forget 250, aim to finish everything at 200 hours! Every hour over 200 is an hour you didn't need to spend 😜
By the sound of it your ATO is giving you some good advice (considering it's in their interest for you to fly/spend more rather than less)

Considering how long the ATPL exams can take when working and studying part time, the danger is that you fly too many hours too soon. Its important to leave some towards the end so that you can get back into flight training with a decent amount if recency.

Getting an SEIR as your first IR is a good idea for a few reasons. (a) It's cheaper whilst still saving the ATPL exams, (b) it reduces you MEP time by at least 10 hours, (c) it'll only cost you a few thousand because you can avoid the SIM and write most of it off against hour building (but only if you plan very carefully &#128521 and (d) when you eventually write your CV, the only dates that actually matter are MEIR and MCC. That means if no-ones hiring cadets for the next few years you can sit on your SECPL/IR for a long a you like and hold of getting the MEIR/MCC until the time is right, then graduate with a fresh one. Nothing to keep current.
Why is 250h worse than 200h in your opinion?
I agree with your point of not flying "too much" too early since ATPL theory may take long in my case.
Actually, some ATOs require NR and CPL before applying to MEIR, I guess that's the trick you are referring to.

Once ATPL theory is completed, how much time would be reasonable to accomplish all the remaining steps alltogether, with full time dedication? 3-6 months?

Best