PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France B777 control issues landing CDG
Old 1st May 2022, 08:12
Uplinker

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by alf5071h
The adverse human view continues, ‘aircrew’, … ‘error’ - a definition after the fact..
Can I just say that in my posts about crews or pilots, I am not having a go at the individuals, I am simply trying to understand why supposedly highly trained, examined and experienced individuals cannot do something as simple as, for example : watch their IAS and correct it if necessary, or perform a go-around.
(And in the three reasons you give for blaming recent incidents on aircraft design (which also involves humans); remember, if the automatics are not doing what is needed, pilots should reduce the level of automation, perhaps as far as taking fully manual control, if necessary).

I am deeply concerned and worried about the apparent reduction of flying safety that seems to be happening. We are not even talking about serious mechanical failures such as double engine failures or an engine exploding and causing major damage - (all three recent examples of which were expertly flown by the pilots and crews by the way, as I said).
No, we are seeing absolute bread-and-butter - very easy manoeuvres - that are being botched - in some cases with fatal results. Why? No pilot goes to work intending to do a bad job, so what is going on with selection, testing and recurrent training?

And should I be concerned about going on a flight with my family, in case the pilots don't remember how to take-off or land, or go-around? A ridiculous question, surely?