PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular Route - Best Time to Start Hour Building
Old 29th Apr 2022, 13:25
Aviator172s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
Think very carefully about how you're going to fly those hours. Blindly getting to 100 hours PIC then doing a CPL/IR at a flight school is financially the worst thing you can do.

I'd recommend flying the 50 hours cross country PIC you need for the IR while you're studying for the ATPLs, but don't get carried away. Once you have passed the exams you can start your IRR/CBIR, and aim to finish the IR at 170 hours.

Then take a breather and assess the industry: if its looking good then (a) go for MEP, MEIR and SECPL. If not and you're running out of time or money then (b) just go for the SECPL. Both options will guarantee your exam passes for another 7 years.
Hi rudestuff,

Why is it financially wrong to keep building flying time, whilst I study ATPL theory? Sorry but I think I don't see your point. My aim is to keep learning and progressing flying, and finish everything alltogether between the range of 200-250h.
From what I have been told in some ATOs, most sensible/common way of completing the modular path would be:
PPL (done)
ATPL theory (ongoing)
time building (150 total hours, c100 PIC) (ongoing)
Next steps:
IRSEP
NR
IRMEP
CPL
JOC/MCC

Please advise if I am considering it correctly.

Many thanks