PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France B777 control issues landing CDG
Old 29th Apr 2022, 07:10
Latestormer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzBox
I doubt that's the case here. The flight parameters show the pitch was stabilised at just under 15° during the initial go-around and stayed there for several seconds. The FO then started moving the control column aft. The Capt almost immediately opposed the rearward movement, presumably with sufficient force to desynchronise the control columns. At that point, the control column on the FO's side kept moving aft, while the control column on the Capt's side moved forward. The net result was an increase in the pitch attitude to 24°.

The question is: Having established the go-around attitude, why did the FO then start trying to raise the nose further?
I don't see it that way. FO was the PF. CA should never touch the controls without announcing it (but probably veeery used to do things like that, most likely doing that for years, until he almost killed everybody). Also, you're biased thinking that it was the captain counter-reacting the FO input. Somone could clearly state the other way around since these events happened simultaneously. I'd say that we have another somatogravic illusion case here. But let's wait for what BEA has to say.

Quite agree with your post , except here we are not talking about a low cost/ low pay/ cheap airline, quite the contrary in fact .
Would be interesting to read later the age/experience gradient between the two. Although AF, as far as I know, does no normally put 250h cadets on their 777, they sometimes put 2 captains.
The whole industry became low cost. First class seats lost their ground to business jets, where VIPs can choose not only the time, destination, but the most valuable thing: who's sitting on the first seats.

Don't get me wrong. I ain't saying that experience is not important. But once I got asked:

"Which one would you hire? 22 thousand flying hours or 5 thousand?"

I also blindly answered "The most experienced for sure."

To my surprise the reply was something like: "Well, I'd hire the one that does not hit a seawall during a visual approach or crashes into the ocean from a 10 minute fall".