PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France B777 control issues landing CDG
Old 23rd Apr 2022, 04:34
Uplinker

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiefttp
Uplinker,
I understand your sentiment. What I mean by “startle effect” isn’t a hysterical reaction to a situation, Instead, it’s when an event occurs outside of its “normal” or expected flight regime. For example, a go-around occurring at 1500 AGL as opposed to at decision Altitude where most pilots are expecting and thinking about executing a go-around. I’ve had two “aborted or discontinued approaches” which resulted in a go-around in the last few months. In both instances the F/O was flying. In both instances, the request by ATC took us by surprise.............
Well, I don't want to make a big deal of this but all I can say is we must be using different dictionaries. In mine "startle" is "to be surprised or frightened, so as to start, [i.e. jump] involuntarily", (like someone suddenly shouting Boo! in your face).

While flying an airliner and having to do a go-around, or being told to do a go-around, that you have briefed and programmed for, does not startle me. Instead, I think, (in a bored tone of voice); 'oh bollocks, here we go'......"go-around flap" etc. I don't think 'oh **** !..........what.......what's happening?.............what the hell do I do now?', which would be more my definition of startle.

All approaches could be a go-around until you pull reversers on the runway. If an engine exploded, or there was an explosive decompression during the cruise; yes, we would all probably be a little startled initially, but then we would know what to do next.

If crews are being startled by a go-around, then frankly they are in the wrong job. Sorry.