PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFPS15 - government decision.
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2022, 05:48
Bob Viking

Received 549 Likes on 150 Posts
Blue Sky Thinking

As I sit here on my sun lounger I had a random thought. I wondered how much the MOD is paying for a new online pension calculator to work out the post-McCloud benefits for individuals. It seems to be very hard since it is taking an awfully long time which probably means it is awfully expensive.

I realise there are many thousands of affected individuals and many, unique circumstances.

There are people who are able to calculate the benefits manually though. Any well trained accountant could do similar with access to the correct information.

So what if we took a bunch of recent maths graduates and offered them a decent salary to take an individual case load and work the pensions payments out manually?

A recent graduate might think an annual salary of £40,000 is pretty awesome. Every £1,000,000 would get 25 such graduates for a year at a time. They could each handle dozens of cases a day probably.

I’m willing to bet we have invested many millions of £’s into the calculator already. Couldn’t we just save a lot of time and money and even create some well paid jobs to do it mandraulically? We could then actually provide the many thousands of veterans and currently serving individuals who are trying to make life decisions based on their pensions with the correct information to do it?

I’m sure it’s more complicated than I’m making out but I still fail to see why we are waiting years for a calculator when the information and expertise is there to have done it already.

Anyway, back to my book.

BV