PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Short Haul EBA
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2022, 08:55
dr dre

Received 367 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Colonel_Klink

I hope AIPA are calling out QF on their BS. Has AIPA sought legal advice on whether the threat of giving the aircraft to another entity would be legal given the transfer of business issues in the Fair Work Act that would arise?
All they need to do is announce “Project Winton is cancelled” (to remove the prior stated goal it’s a 737 replacement which would see it fall under the SH EBA). Then the next day announce a brand new subsidiary, “A321 Air” or something that will be set up with A321s and fly new routes initially, but encroach onto mainline routes within time. Perfectly legal. Or not even go that far. Suddenly NA or JQ get those 321s and are flying 10hr mainline routes on an aircraft with business class seats.

Unfortunately mainline pilot options are limited. Unions have been weakened to the point of non-existence, and there 3 existing group subsidiaries (NA, JQ and EFA) already flying the 320/321 who won’t be making the same mistake of voting down a deal to fly dozens of new aircraft.

So despite predictions of “90% No”, which was what was predicted with the 2015 and 2020 LH EBA votes but never eventuated, most pilots will have to look at the deal presented and make a choice re their future.

Originally Posted by pinkpanther1

- Removal of rostering protections
That one will need more explanation, no doubt they want to use the A321 on some international routes but the bulk of flying would be domestic routes similar to current EBA. I think fire on that one should be held until more concrete information regarding what is being proposed is presented.

Removal of geographical limits that SH aircraft can fly
Obvious with the range of the aircraft, no biggie really.

- Ability to backfill reserves
Would have to come with a bit of an incentive I think (a few hours pay was proposed last EBA)

- No pay increase
I think most are happy with current pay. Already some of the highest paid narrowbody pilots in the world, and definitely ahead of local competitors and Award conditions.

Plenty of other pineapples too.
Didn’t see many other points in the email apart from what you listed. One about moving crew from the 737 to the 321 in time was one, but that’s about it.

Will have to wait until more concrete proposals are presented from both the Union and the Company really.

what happened to the days of negotiations?
That’s Industrial Relations 2022. Society has moved further from guaranteed permanent jobs with strict protections and good union representation to a temporary casualised gig style economy where one hours work a week is considered “fully employed”.

We can debate why this happened til the cows come home but it’s where we are.

Last edited by dr dre; 13th Apr 2022 at 09:05.