PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2022, 11:40
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
AFAIK the PPL syllabus and the RAA syllabus contain not one word about the characteristics of RPT heavy jets let alone their operations IFR or VFR. I trained at YMMB and did my controlled airspace work into YMEN. I am not proud to say I know nothing about your procedures, STARS, waypoints, etc. I was taught to obey ATC and that was it. I still don't know what or why you RPT jets are doing something. All I know is to keep out of the way.

Observation 1: If VFR pilots don't know what you are doing or what to expect, then how can we be expected to detect a dangerous situation developing and manouver to maintain separation? We can have a stab at it but we are guessing. Hence there may be a need to train and educate VFR pilots as one line of defence.

Observation 2: Building on #1, are there standard avoidance procedures VFR pilots could adopt? if STARS are routine, then for example how about developing VFR matching equivalents that keep us clear?

I am not trying to make more work for RPT pilots but suggesting that if you use standard procedures at uncontrolled airports, then it would be logical to expect VFR pilots to use matching defensive procedures. That might require VFR pilots to call ATC and be told what to expect and to plan accordingly.