PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2022, 01:38
Colonel_Klink

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
I don't. You only have to look at this very report to see that. There is not a single skerrick of info about the Jetstar crew having any consideration for anyone other than IFR traffic. CAAP166 says radio calls from IFR aircraft should be in plain english, yet this crew insisted on using IFR and RNAV waypoints. Why? "I'm in a shiny jet and need to prove I can do stuff you can't!"?
I won’t pretend to know what was going on in that JQ flight deck that day, however if you think the attitude of RPT Jet pilots in Australia is that ‘I am in a shiny jet and need to prove I can do stuff you can’t’ then you probably need to do some self reflection.

Every time I have been into BNA, the threat of VFR traffic is briefed prior to ToD, so again I would be surprised if there was no consideration for ‘other than IFR traffic’.

Respectfully, both of those statements paint a pretty ignorant picture.

I will repeat though, I think it’s totally inappropriate for RPT jets arriving into CTAFs to be referencing IFR waypoints. The JQ crew on this day certainly did not help themselves with this radio call.

I should have stated ‘appropriate radio calls’ in my first post. Had the Jab pilot been aware of the RPT aircrafts position, I would expect them to have made a radio call referencing BNA, especially if they were familiar with the area. In addition to that, the JQ pilots should have started to pay attention when they heard another aircraft east of Lismore at 5000’, which is where that RNP approach takes you. But, unfamiliarity may have played a part in this. BNA Radio is the one who probably should have the most Situational Awareness of local geographic features as well as RNAV points - the operator should have been aware of the potential conflict.

And finally, unless you’ve actually operated under the IFR into a busy CTAF, then you probably don’t realise the workload involved. Im
not trying to turn this into a pissing contest, but some of the more challenging flying I have done is flying into a busy CTAF whilst in cloud, trying to monitor Centre, the CTAF and flying the beginning of an instrument approach to get visual. I have done this in light GA twins, King Airs, Dash 8s and 737s.

I think there is a lot of things that didn’t go right on this day, and everyone was very lucky it didn’t turn out worse.

Ultimately this wouldn’t happen if the guidelines were followed that would trigger the implementation of a Class D tower.