PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2022, 21:22
Colonel_Klink

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Sunfish,

I think you’re shooting rather wide of the mark.

Firstly, myself and plenty of other airline pilots have complete respect for GA / RAA. We started our careers there, and many are still involved. I still have a current Grade 1 Instructor Rating, for example. Many of my colleagues own their own aircraft.

What the airline pilots on this topic have suggested, is that there are pilots of light aircraft around BNA who do not conform to what would be expected of aircraft operating in the vicinity of RPT jet aircraft. You expect the airline pilots to show professionalism, just as much as the airline pilots expect the most basic level of airmanship by using a radio, and turning on a transponder (if fitted) to the right mode.

Much can be learnt by both sides - I cringe every time I hear an RPT aircraft reference the RNP waypoints rather than distance and compass bearing from the airport. But I am lost for words with the fact the Jabiru into BNA wasn’t making radio calls. That is borderline negligent behaviour in light of the number of incidents going on there, and the clear issues that are in play around BNA. Anyone sitting at the controls of an aircraft around the BNA area should be highly in tune to these issues. There are multiple ATSB reports, there is an AIP Supp about the radio requirements there, etc etc. As such anyone flying into BNA (regardless of the size of the aircraft) should be doing so with heightened awareness. To be ignorant now is totally unacceptable - no matter who the party is.

Whilst the GA aircraft might not have any idea as to the performance of Jet aircraft, maybe I can help here. Very basically:

- At 30nm from the airport, jet aircraft will be at roughly 10,000’ and be doing 250kts, and about 1500fpm and be about 7-8mins from landing.
- At 25nm, sometimes more, sometimes less, the aircraft will likely start tracking to the point where commencement of the approach will occur. So if flying to BNA from the south and landing on 24, this is where we may start to track out to the east. This should be communicated in the inbound call
- At 20nm and 5000’, this is where the jet aircraft will roughly start slowing down, and descent rate will start coming back towards 800fpm
- At 10nm and 3000’, the aircraft being at roughly 200kts and will begin final configuration (gear, final flap).
- Below 1000’ we will be at our final approach speed. This is still likely around 140-150kts.
- Landing distance at BNA can be tight, especially when heavy and the runway is wet or with tailwind. There are occasions where we can’t accept any tailwind on landing as the runway isn’t long enough. When landing on 24, it’s not unusual for us to still have to back track the runway to exit on the taxiways.
- I can’t convey how difficult it is to see a light aircraft whilst on final (or in general). And I say this as someone who still flys GA aircraft and is used to where to look and what to look for whilst in a busy circuit such as at Moorabbin.

To try and dumb this problem down as ‘lack of respect’ by jet pilots, doesn’t do the issue any justice, and I think is completely wrong.

I will finish on this note; for the love of god please turn on your mode C transponder if you have one, and please use the radio. No one cares if your broadcast doesn’t sound right, if necessary just talk in plain English and tell me what you are doing. ‘I am over Richmond River mouth and I’m tracking along the beach at 1000’ to Byron’ is a lot easier to manage than incorrect positional information because you’re trying to get the ‘right’ words out, or no broadcast at all. If I have any questions, I will ask!