PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision involving Piper PA-44-180 Seminole, VH-JQF, and Beech D95A Travel A
Old 31st Mar 2022, 23:28
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Tossbag
But the real cause here is that a 1970's-80's airspace system is being used despite having a 2000's onward radar/surveillance system. The equipment has evolved but the procedures and airspace has not, and it won't. Not until Ballina happens or elsewhere.
Errr, no, the antiquated airspace system, invented in he 50s/60/70s by the yanks (Class E), is now out of date because of the equipment available. You and Dick are trying to shoehorn a round type of airspace in to a square hole. How about you take advantage of the technology? As I said before (LB missed it, I see):

Mandate transponders in MBZs (yes, renamed from CTAF Rs ). Then we can have simple, "controlled" or "uncontrolled" airspace. Then we can get rid of this ABCDE nonsense. I mean, really, ABCD? What's the point? It really is just confusing, complicated theoretical, fanatical nonsense.

As pointed out by the ATSB, this is the first ever midair between IFR aircraft OCTA. The first ever. And communications overload is the obvious reason. And that has been caused by the CTAF/ATC interaction. And that was brought about by? I don't see anybody suggesting traffic lights at every intersection.

Even with the current rules, the system is fundamentally sound, based on the evidence. It was even safer when we had Joe Bloggs in the FSU because the free in G cowboys had somebody to talk to. Allegedly, we've saved hundreds of millions of dollars since turning the system into the wild west. You can't have everything.

Last edited by Capn Bloggs; 31st Mar 2022 at 23:32. Reason: Grammar