PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2022, 20:59
MagnumPI

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
I have raised the issue of CTAFs before with said bodies and the replies are much the same, if people follow the rules, communicate, have trans on, then then what’s the problem. In a perfect world I get the point, however CTAF is largely full of training or low hour pilots. No criticism to them, I was one of those many years ago. However my problems in recent times are things like old mate in the circuit who is not maintaining said height for his class of aircraft and is moving into my territory. Turning base at Ballina I was cut off by someone first solo with no radio call, turning final oh **** there he is in front for me for now number 1. I lost patience and we got out of the place and starting holding until they could sort themselves out. Having an argument with another pilot on the CTAF on why they want the the whole circuit with his students to use the tailwind direction, with 80T me wanting into the wind. People in the training area who turn the volume down whilst they conduct all sorts of air work with me asking questions and no reply. The list goes on and on. My hair gets less and less.

Needless to say we brief like the **** is always going to hit the fan before we enter these areas.
Hey PJ,

I didn't train in the RA-Aus 'system' and I don't fly RAA aircraft, more classic GA 172 etc. I learned at a busy CTAF, albeit without jet traffic. From the first lesson, I was trained on the importance of brevity in my calls, whilst getting the point across succinctly, and perhaps most importantly - giving way to larger aircraft where appropriate - especially those travelling for commerce (ie. RPT).

In my travels around the country it has been interesting to fly at other schools casually and I have seen radical inconsistencies in how pilots are trained on CTAF comms. As most of us know, the regs aren't that proscriptive when it comes to CTAF communications. It seems some schools or instructors operate on the 'tell everyone what you're doing all the time' principal - ie. one school in a Class G area that I flew at mandated calls on each leg of the circuit plus clear of runway etc. Whereas where I was taught, the only recommended call by the AD OPR was a base call, and other calls at pilot discretion.

What I have also observed is that - generally - pilot comms from RAA aircraft seem to be more often than not sub-par, as if they expect every other aircraft to understand where an obscure local reference is, rather than saying e.g.

****sville Traffic Jabiru 12345 one zero miles south east 2500 inbound, circuit two six, ****sville

...you'll get something like this:

Ah all stations in the ****sville area, um Jabiru 12345 is over the Bogan Street bridge inbound, will be joining dead side of the circuit for full stop.

Now, of course most of the time other aircraft more or less get the message - but at a place like Ballina you have to be accurate in giving your position and you have to be succinct. I should know, I live there and fly in the area.

It bothers me that some of the schools apparently don't even teach their students to check basic things like the scheduled arrival and departure times at BNA and even a quick scan on FR24. This seems to be basic airmanship stuff that is being overlooked!

The fact that a Jabiru (or any light aircraft) was pressuring you to get off the runway is outrageous and I commend you for not having a crack on the CTAF at him or her. Would have been very interesting to pull the rego and find out whether it was a student under instruction or solo flying, or a private aircraft on a private flight.