PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2022, 00:11
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
Gosh PJ, you’re more tolerant than I would be in those circumstances! I’d be on the radio: “Jizzler 700, until the entirety of my aircraft is outside the gable markers for the runway, the runway is occupied. I’ll report ‘clear’ when I’ve vacated, but it’s going to take a while to do so safely here. Perhaps it would be a good idea if you …. because, as you’ll be aware, it’s dangerous and an offence to continue an approach beyond the threshold of an occupied runway. Let's both have a nice day.” And that’s if I were in a good mood.

(I have no idea what point you’re trying to make, 43.)
My Training department advised that inappropriate language or long winded calls will probably elevate the risk, ie the inexperienced RA pilot could become unstable due distraction posing further risk to ourselves. I was instructed short and firm calls would be appropriate, which is the path we took. However they did acknowledge the continued concern with low hour and inexperienced CTAF traffic alongside our operations. Lack of investment in Airport facilities is also not helping the situation (ie apron and taxiway investment).

Is the training and ground theory for Class G and RPL/A Pilots adequate currently? Whilst I sit on the ground at Byron and ultralights not announcing clear of runway, you can see my frustration. That’s what my FO raised, if we have not announced clear, and sit partially over due to another aircraft pushing back, would they continue on or give the approach away.

If we opted for Bravo, the issue was a Virgin 737 in the way, or opt for Alpha like we did and we can get off. The discussion if we took B...

‘Ballina Traffic A320 **** at Bravo not clear of runway awaiting Virgin 737 Push Standby, repeating we are not clear of runway’

Then the potential for the light aircraft still continues whilst commencing a last minute missed approach, I don’t have a lot of confidence either in a well executed missed approach. As I discussed with my training department, we would be taking other options should they continue the approach beyond the rules.

Last edited by PoppaJo; 31st Mar 2022 at 00:48.