PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Engine Instruction Dangers
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2003, 09:29
big pistons forever

BigEndBob

My accident happened near the ( preplanned ) end of my instructing career. For the last 13 or so years I have held non instructor flying jobs and only did a bit of instructing on the side. The beauty of this, is of course I can instruct on my terms, of which one is no touch and goes in complex aircraft. Actually no, the best part is I am not obligated to deal with the inevitable morons that walk in the door of the flying school. Any way back to topic.

The real question IMO is wether or not the student can land a light twin. My experience has been that my students only take a couple of tries to make acceptable and safe landings. Therefore I feel more practice is essentially wasted. I would prefer to use the time to practice balked approaches, emergencies in the circuit etc. If I did have a student who had difficulty with landings then I am almost certainly seeing someone missing essential flying skills and would strongly recommend he/she got some dual on a intermediate ( and much cheaper ) complex single, before carrying on. In the long run I think this would probably save the student money. If they insisted on carrying on then, yes a series of touch and goes woud probably be appropriate untill the student gots their act together. However I would brief that when all three wheels are on the ground I will loudly and firmly call " I have control " they would then put their hands on their lap and I would reconfigure the aircraft , apply full power rotate and hand over the aircraft when it was above blue line and climbing. Since the aircraft is still moving fast the time from full power to rotate is only going to be a few seconds and I am the best equiped to deal with an actual emergency. Frankly I don't think the student is missing much because if they are still having trouble landing I can guarantee while ther hand may be advancing the throttles, their brain is still calling red blues and greens final check complete .

However I can appreciate you may not get a vote and must instruct the way your CFI says. In that case all I can say is you have to be totally alert. I was only a half second too slow on my fatefull day