PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2022, 08:36
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Walk me through why E down to and including circuit level wouldn't be an improvement, at least during the scramble to establish Class D. And indulge me: Imagine that Air Services is capable of taking its thumb out of its mouth and doing something that it doesn't want to do. If the SFIS is doing 'something', it is presumably because 'someone' in Air Services is monitoring 'something'.
Not sure how you would run class E into the circuit with aircraft required to be monitoring CTAF as well. This is already one of the confusions with how class E is at present, many VFRs are simply on the wrong frequency and not monitoring class E, they just treat it like class G. Class E would work to coordinate IFR, except at reduced rates, but won't solve the issue in Ballina, and that is random VFRs popping up in front of IFRs and larger aircraft that have less options to turn and avoid. Or would you just put a blanket approach ban on IFR aircraft while a jabiru or two did circuits? Make the A320 hold until min fuel etc...

Backtracking and having them continue approach to see if I can get off in time. I told them I was exiting off Alpha, I was concerned that they could potentially clip me at the rear if I hadn’t cleared the runway completely if we went off B. Needless to say I lodged a report over that one. Nothing came from that, I guess legally nobody did anything wrong, just people pushing boundaries which is a no go in my book, and my training department also.
Report won't do anything if the offending aircraft did nothing wrong, the rules state you can't continue an approach into the runway strip/past the aerodrome boundary unless the runway is vacant. I can come down to 100-200 ft and go round from there. If a VFR was to then ram into your rear end or tail then there's more wrong than just continuing an approach, guaranteed there'd be a good chance if said VFR had an engine failure on downwind (or while discontinuing the approach), he'd be landing on whatever runway remaining between you and the end given no other options.