PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankstown RNP RWY 11 approach on Garmin G1000
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 09:05
43Inches

Received 443 Likes on 243 Posts
Problem is those lil private craft are getting faster and harder to see, not long before they climb higher as well with better emerging technologies. That has made it so far that class E is mostly clear of smaller VFR craft, as the airspace populates with more and more and airservices seems to provide less and less, who is really able to be watching. En-route ATS seems overwhelmed with 5 aircraft floating around, let alone monitoring IFR approaches into every field in their area, automation is the only way it can be done safely. So far ATS seems to accurately pass on about half the traffic to me, I've seen RAs due to multiple traffic and ATS only passing on one and the IFR aircraft thinking they are clear after that, then "SUPRISE, I wasn't talking and my transponder is now telling yours to fly up... and you have paperwork to do now"

Then there's the myriad of shonks that don't follow the rules to any particular method, just do their own thing. I'd be happy if they just turn on their transponder so I can see where they are and give em a wide berth.

The other issue in class E is that an IFR aircraft requires a clearance to deviate from cleared track in order to avoid a potential conflict, which in some cases the act of requesting such manuvre would be too long. In class G I could see a potential conflict or be alerted by TCAS TA and change course to avoid immediately, avoiding the possibility of an RA or worse. In class E you can only alter course for an RA, in which case you then need to waste time on paperwork.

Last edited by 43Inches; 22nd Mar 2022 at 09:29.